Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Making Snow Cream



We hardly get any snow in my neck of the woods, but we have had a large winter storm that started Tuesday morning and has continued off and on ever since. We have a tradition here in the south whenever we get enough snow; snow cream. Snow cream is where we mix ingredients that one can find in ice cream into fresh, clean snow. This stuff is delicious! When it does snow, social media within my circle explodes with talk and images of this creamy goodness. It is like a rich, creamy vanilla ice cream. I have heard and read different recipes over the years, but what I am about to share with you is by far the best I have tasted. (Warning: this recipe contains major calorie overload!) Remember to work and eat fast. This stuff melts faster than regular ice cream so work fast.


Measurements vary, it is not an exact science. My family mixes these ingredients to our taste preference.
You will need:

  • a large bowl of snow ( about twice as much as you think you'll need since it will melt into the other ingredients)
  • white granulated sugar
  • heavy whipping cream
  • sweetened condensed milk
  • vanilla extract

The bowl I filled holds 12 cups, and I filled it completely with fluffy snow (not packed).


I started out by transferring half of the snow into another large bowl, and we layered the ingredients stirring as we go. Guesstimanting, we used about 1/4 to 1/2 a cup of sugar, 1/2 a pint of heavy whipping cream, & about 3 teaspoons of vanilla extract. We did use a whole 14 oz can of sweetened condensed milk and the whole 12 cup bowl of snow. Mix the ingredients well and serve immediately.    


I hope you will enjoy this southern treat!
Keep warm!
hannaH

2 comments:

  1. What a crazy idea, I love it! It actually looks like real ice cream! We just got fresh snow, maybe I should try it:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should try it! It is so yummy. Let me know if you like it :)

      Delete